It is our mission to provide intent, focused, and specific support to educational institutions and non-profit organizations in Illinois. We offer sign language interpreter referral services, training, and mentoring programs.
Our key focus is to provide support in IL where there have been notable challenges in meeting the needs of the Deaf community. Some areas include:
- Shortage of qualified interpreters.
- Gap in training from ITP to qualified working interpreter.
- High turnover of educational interpreters unable to pass minimum skill competencies through EIPA.
- Agencies and organizations unable to secure interpreters due to various issues surrounding location, compensation, insurance and other challenges.
- Socially and emotionally isolated Deaf seniors residing in nursing homes and assisted living facilities.
How we are making a difference
SLII is actively addressing these areas through:
- Mentoring in public institutions and through private 1-on-1 arrangements.
- Educational Interpreter Professional Development.
- Workshops and Seminars.
- Special rate programs for non-profits and public schools.
- Operation Flashlight: I Sign!